Former Navy SEAL Benjamin Smith claims he "served in the US Navy just under 6yrs, as a SEAL" and participated in numerous "covert operations." Benjamin Smith's DD214 was obtained from the Department of the Navy in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Smith's DD214 shows that he consistently misrepresents, if not outright lies about his time served in the Navy and with the the SEAL teams. Smith's DD214 also reveals that HE DOES NOT HAVE A COMBAT ACTION RIBBON, which would seemingly indicate that HE IS NOT A COMBAT VETERAN. In fact, Smith's DD214 not only shows that he served entirely WITHOUT distinction, only receiving the same blanket commendations received by ALL persons serving during the time he was in the Navy, but also raises several questions about his service:
- BENJAMIN SMITH, UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES DID YOU LEAVE THE NAVY?
- DID YOU LEAVE THE NAVY RATHER THAN FACE A TRIDENT REVIEW BOARD THAT WOULD HAVE STRIPPED YOU OF YOUR TRIDENT AND THROWN YOU OUT OF THE SEAL TEAMS?
- DID YOU EVER ACTUALLY SERVE ON THE GROUND IN IRAQ AS AN ACTIVE DUTY SEAL? WERE YOU IN IRAQ ONLY AS A CONTRACTOR AFTER YOUR SEPARATION FROM THE NAVY AND NOT AS A SEAL?
- DO YOU CLAIM TO BE A COMBAT VETERAN?
- WHY ARE THERE DISCREPANCIES ON YOUR DD214 IF YOU SIGNED OFF ON IT DURING YOUR EXIT INTERVIEW WITH THE NAVY?